This is an exciting, open-ended project where anything could happen!
All that is certain is that this will be a creative project run in collaboration with Sahara which will result in a city-centre based display/exhibition inspired by the Harris' collections.
Sahara is a voluntary organisation working predominately for the benefit of the black and minority ethnic (BME) community in Preston. Staff there are experienced in assisting women with complex issues, including domestic abuse and unemployment.
This challenge is limited to Female volunteers only on this occasion. As this is a women's group, we want them to feel as comfortable as possible! :)
Bilingualism is also a very desirable skill to have for this challenge! Particularly in any of the languages: Hindi, Gujarati, Urdu, Telegu (Tamil).
Working with Sahara's arts and crafts group.
Inspiring and supporting the group's creativity and interests.
Helping to develop, plan and co-curate a display/exhibition with Sahara.
Amelia is meeting the group for the first time on Wednesday the 23rd August, 1:15pm for a brew and a chat - she would love an interested volunteer to join her even though this is a last-minute plan!! This is not essential but would be a bonus so that you're included right from the start.
Why get involved?
Be a part of empowering your local community!
Get your creative juices flowing!
You'll be helping to deliver the Harris' outreach programme, keeping people connected to us.
Use your interpersonal skills and embrace your interest in cultural diversity.
How to get involved?
1. Accept the challenge.
2. Await a response from Amelia who will be in touch with further information.
- Interpersonal skills - listening, speaking, being approachable
- Community Engagement
- practical and being hands on
- Generating new ideas
- Positive outlook and approach
- Helping with workshops and activities
- community engagement and empowerment
- Working with the local community
- Diversity and equal opportunities
- mentoring and buddying up
- supporting others
- Costume and Textiles and other decorative arts
- Visual Impairment awareness (including awareness of audio description)
- Cultural diversity
- Minority Groups in Preston